Lately I have felt stuck in my career.
What do I want to be when I grow up? Although I look grown up on the outside, I still ponder this question periodically. I never want to I feel like I am living the same day over and over like that great movie, Groundhog Day. I seek insight to improve my career and my life.
Ever feel stuck? From the number of folks I talk to about this, I bet you feel the same way occasionally too.
You know what I discovered? Insight begins with evaluation. Really!
To discern your future, look at where you are, consider what you like and don’t like, then make a plan for change.
I have used this technique myself many times to unstick my career. I found some insight into how younger folks look at this situation in an interesting article by Jay Kim in Forbes, “If you feel stuck in your career don’t do something drastic, do this”. Kim describes Ryan Holiday’s thought process as he grew his career by making some life changes.
The key to finding satisfaction seems to come from using your time wisely to gain insight.
Here are five steps for evaluation to gain insight as you prepare for career growth:
- What is working? What activities, lifestyle and career choices are making me happy or bringing me the reward? How can I do more of what I love and less of what I dislike? What is standing in my way of doing more of what I love? Start making lists of what is working and what is not.
- Don’t be an island. Get advice from people with more experience whose opinions your respect. Read some books, go to some networking meetings, and reconnect with people you might have lost touch with.
- Take some calculated risks but don’t go crazy. Don’t quit your job based on dissatisfaction. Make your move towards something you like better not just to avoid something you dislike. Do your homework before making any major decisions.
- Don’t burn bridges. You never know when someone from your past will pop up in your future. You want their reappearance to be positive.
- Make good use of your time to learn and grow in place so you are prepared to move when the time is right.
Don’t settle for a mediocre career that you don’t want! LinkedIn offers many ways to find the ideal job or career for you! Get your FREE copy of the LinkedIn Career Advancement Tips and find the perfect career today.