Listen for signs that you might get laid off. If you knew a hurricane or tornado was approaching, you would take steps to protect your family, right? Job security is a thing of the past; a quaint notion.
Any of us could lose our job at any time for any reason. It makes sense then to take steps to protect your family if you think your job is in jeopardy.
Everyone is an expert in something I guess and I am an expert in orchestrating layoffs. I have executed many, many layoffs. So here are a few of the top signs your job is in jeopardy.
- Executives are having lots of closed door meetings, the kind with the shades closed. Nothing good ever comes out of these meetings for regular workers.
- Your boss stops making eye contact.
- People stop talking to you in the cafeteria or around the coffee pot.
- You are asked to cut travel, especially if travel is important to your job.
- They put you on a plan, even if your results are the same as everyone else.
- You get copied on strange emails that don’t make sense or seem to fit into your regular job.
- You are not invited to regular meetings you would normally attend, like staff meetings or planning meetings.
If you start seeing these signs, take action! It is too soon to tell if you will be impacted but it is better safe than sorry. Here are some steps to take in the meantime:
- Curtail your personal and family expenses. You don’t want to regret buying that great new jet ski while you are on unemployment, in case that happens.
- Get your resume together. Include your most recent accomplishments and make it look good.
- Start networking if you have not been. Go to those industry and function group meetings in your community. Meet new people. Keep your ears open (but not your mouth!) for any information about your business.
- Update your LinkedIn profile. Make sure your profile is at 100%. Add contacts, join groups specific to your niche.
We at The Interview Doctor wish you fair winds and following seas as you navigate your job security!
We can help you set up your job search with the right tools. Just give us a call or check out our resources specifically created for the job seekers!