Proper attire creates a positive impression in the professional world.
When I accepted a Facebook connection invitation from a friend, Bob Powers, I never realized how much I would learn about men’s shoes. Bob is an expert on all aspects of men’s shoes – colors, styles and cleaning. He shares his expertise about shoes in videos, pictures and little articles. I could watch his video over and over as he cleans, repairs and polishes a beat up pair of dress shoes into sparkling, shining shoes any man would be proud to own.
This is important information in danger of being lost after years of “business casual” when men wore Dockers, a blue gabardine shirt and boat shoes all the time.
We forget how professional a well-polished pair of shoes can be.
I think Bob is on the right track. That classic look never goes out of style, even if you are at the older end of a multi-generational workforce.
There are other changes you can make that help you develop your own style that helps you fit in better. For example:
- Skip the elastic waist bands on pants except for exercise wear. I shouldn’t have to say this.
- Watch your shoes. Avoid comfort shoes that shout “old lady” or “old man”. Instead opt for stylish shoes that are comfortable. There is a difference.
- Smile and look enthusiastic. A great smile means a lot. Get your teeth cleaned so they sparkle and let the sun shine through your smile.
- Check your makeup, women. The makeup techniques you used in your 20s went out of style and are probably not right for your older face. Get a makeover for techniques that flatter your current face.
- Haircut up to date? Are you still wearing the same hairstyle you wore in your 20s? Then get to a stylist and update your look. Men, this goes for you too. No one has to be grey any more. If you want to look younger then consider getting rid of some of that grey hair. But get professional advice and support. Don’t do it yourself unless you are a stylist.
- Eyeglasses can really date you. Choose a style that complements your face and features while keeping up-to-date with trends. Glasses are accessories these days. Consider several pairs of glasses for different types of activities or just to freshen your look.[i] Online eyeglass options make it cost effective to get several pairs of glasses. I just purchased three pairs, including polarized sunglasses for HALF the cost of my last pair!
In doubt about the way you look? Ask a younger person to give you feedback about your wardrobe. I do it. About twice a year my daughter goes through my closet to jettison those clothes she thinks are unflattering or that make me look old. Now I just skip that stage and text her a selfie in the dressing room to get an instant thumbs up or thumbs down. Not sure what I just said? Ask a young person.
Would a young person give your wardrobe a thumbs up or thumbs down? Does your work outfit fit you well and is it appropriate for the workplace? Do you look professional?