Is it time for a “joy” break during the winter doldrums?
A friend called this last big snowstorm “the raspberry on the top of winter”. Soon we will wind spring flowers and warmth. We need to keep our chins up in the meantime.
While we enjoy that last breath of winter, here are a few tips we assembled to keep the winter doldrums at bay:
- Be active. Get some exercise to call on those positive endorphins.
- Get some sunshine to drive away the doldrums.
- Get outside and smell some fresh air.
- Go to a museum and explore for a few hours among other people.
- Go for a walk around the neighborhood.
- Clean out a closet for that instant satisfaction.
- Find a local music festival or a local establishment with some live music
- Get in the car and drive for 2 hours then explore wherever you stop
- Open a recipe book and make the first recipe you find – try something new
- Look up pictures of tropical places and pretend you are there – what would be doing right now? What would it smell like? What would the sunshine feel like on your wintery skin?
- Roll in snow with the dog. Or run down a hill. Or better yet, go sledding! Watch out for that yellow snow!
- Take the cat for a walk in the snow – Jack the cat loves it. Ok maybe it tolerates it. Ok, maybe he hates it but I like it!
- Make snow angels.
- Put on shorts and a t-shirt or even better a Hawaiian shirt and pretend it is summer inside.
- Throw a tropical themed party for your friends.
- Hug your kids for no reason at all.
- Call an old friend and catch up while you sip on a hot cup of some wonderful liquid of your choice.
- Boaters, go visit your boat. Say hello. Tell her it won’t be long now!
When you clear your head you put new energy into your life. Anything seems possible! That new job? The promotion you want? Completing that big project?
What else can you suggest to beat the winter doldrums?