LinkedIn can be a crucial linchpin to your job search. It makes networking easy. Here are some reasons why:
- Everyone is on it. It is hard to find people who are NOT on LinkedIn.
- Recruiters use it to find candidates. So if you want to be seen, you have to put yourself out there.
- You can catch up with people you knew years ago. I found a friend from college I haven’t spoken to in almost 20 years. It felt good. You never know where that leads.
- Stimulating discussions. This is a chance to put yourself out there. Participating in discussions increases your visibility.
- Local focus if you want. You can use it to keep up with what is going on in your industry, profession, or community.
- Helps shy people “talk” to people they don’t know yet. It is easier than cold calling on the phone.
- You control the information you put out on LinkedIn. Put your best foot forward.
The biggest reasons people give about not networking on LinkedIn are related to privacy. But the reasons to use LinkedIn far outweigh any privacy concerns, especially when you control the information you provide!